What you can do

Report it

If you think you or someone you know is being abused, or neglected report it. Don’t wait until you’re sure.

There may be times when you are uneasy about the behaviour and actions of other people, you may be unsure what it is about the situation that raises your suspicions. That is OK, we are here to provide advice and support.

Reporting is the first step that can help you or someone else escape an abusive situation or to get advice to manage the risk.

Call Thurrock First: 01375 511 000

Email: safeguardingadults@thurrock.gov.uk

Get advice

If you are worried about an adult, need advice about your role as a carer of an adult or just need some advice, call us on 01375 511 000.

When you call Thurrock First the call handler will ask you a few questions to find out which service you need to be transferred to.

You will be connected to Safeguarding Adults Team, they will ask you some questions to make sure they understand your concerns and to provide the right advice.

Call Thurrock First: 01375 511 000

Email: safeguardingadults@thurrock.gov.uk

If you think the adult is in immediate danger – dial 999 and ask for the police.

Action against Elder Abuse helpline: 080 8808 8141

Be aware

Reporting concerns can be difficult and distressing for all involved, or you may doubt your own ability to recognise the signs. However, it is very important to make your concerns known as soon as possible so that the right people can look into it and make the adult safe.

Be informed – you can find out more about the types of abuse and what to look out for (the signs and symptoms) in the Preventing Abuse section of our website.

If you are unsure, contact us for advice and support.

Worried about an adult? 01375 511000

Get in touch

Our Resources